Top 10 Big Guy Shopping Tips: Fashion Tips for Men
By Editorial Staff
Contributed by Paul Seaburn, Catalogs.com Top 10 Guru
You’re a big guy – you like big cars, big steaks, big games, and big paychecks. However, what you don’t like is shopping for big clothes. Outfits for the big guy – whether you’re big in height, girth, or both – are difficult to find in many men’s clothing stores. The big and tall shops have them, but being a big guy doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a big ‘fashion’ guy, and the sales clerks aren’t always much help beyond pointing you to the fitting room and taking your credit card. Here are the best guy shopping tips to help you out.
10. Shop with a friendTake along someone you trust, like a woman who will be honest with you or, better yet, a fellow big guy who dresses like you’d prefer to. Either way, listen to what they have to say.
9. The fit is itOne of the more useful guy shopping tips is trusting your fashion friend to help you pick out the right style, then trust your tailor to make it fit. Too tight makes you look wide, while too loose makes you look frumpy. A good tailor can make the adjustments needed when your upper half and lower half aren’t in sync.
Before you continue reading about the Top 10 Big Guy Shopping Tips: Fashion Tips for Men there is a special announcement we would like to share with you. Catalogs.com has negotiated special medicare rates for our vibrant community of seniors. If you are over the age of 60, you can head over to our Seniors Health Section which is full of information about medicare. All you need is your zip code and a few minutes of your time to potentially save 100s of dollars on your medicare bills.
8. “In” isn’t the same as “big”While the latest new look is hot and sexy when it’s on a fashion model or the kids at the club, it can take on an unflattering new “dimension” on a big guy. Go with what looks good on you first, then add an accessory like a big, stylish men’s watch, or other detail that works for you.
7. More hem for himWear your pants longer and you’ll look taller and thinner. Casual pants should almost touch the ground and dress trousers should be no more than a half-inch above the heel of your shoe.
6. Don’t get waistedTo take attention away from your waist and hip area, look for low-rise pants – they have a shorter distance between the waistband and the crotch than regular pants. Make sure the waistband is high enough to go around your waist so your stomach doesn’t hang over your belt – it looks unkempt and makes your legs look smaller. Also, avoid pleated pants – they make your pelvis look like the no-longer-thin Elvis.
5. Empty your pocketsYour clothes don’t need anything bulging out that isn’t part of you, so empty your pants and jacket pockets. Shop for a thin wallet or a thinner phone, or stash these things in your messenger bag, computer bag, or backpack. A good tailor will sew extra pockets shut or even remove them for you – that way you won’t be able to forget and stuff them. As a plus, empty or removed pockets slim the outfit, as well.
4. Hold the boldYour personality may be big and loud, but your clothes shouldn’t match it. Bold patterns, bright colors, and big designs will make you stand out – not in a good way. Dark and solid colors draw less unwanted attention and can actually make a big guy look thinner.
3. Make them lookupTo get people to avoid looking at your waist and hips, catch their attention with something higher. A bright tie, a stylish open-collar shirt, or a V-neck sweater over a colorful T-shirt will have them looking up to you. And don’t forget to smile – it’s the most inexpensive fashion tip around.
2. Stripes only go one wayLooking taller makes big guys look thinner, so always wear vertical stripes. That means pinstripe suits and vertical striped or corduroy pants. Another way to look taller is by wearing pants the same color as your shirt or jacket. Think of that solid color as one long vertical strip.
Popular Savings Offers
1. Don’t forget the shoesSo, your feet may not be big, but if there’s one thing that women notice above (or should we say below) all else – it’s his shoes. While part of the top 10 big guy shopping tips is to draw attention away from the rest of you, spend a little extra on good-looking, high-quality shoes, and keep them clean and shiny.
- Business & Finance
- For Fun
- For Her
- For Him
- For Home
- For Kids